Monday, June 27, 2011

Happy 3rd Birthday!

The boys turned 3 a couple of weeks ago and had a very adventurous couple of days to celebrate.  They went to more places in those days then they have their whole life and sadly I am not joking.  We started the weekend at Grandma and Papa's for a BBQ.  That is where they got their Texas hats and Trevor hasn't taken it off since! On their actual birthday we took them to the zoo, just the two of them.  We went early in the morning and beat the Father's day rush.  We had a great time.  All the animals were out and about and we did the Dinosaur exhibit.  Trevor was a little scared, but was able to finish it.  When we entered there was a girl, about 7, running away and screaming, so I thought we might have a problem, but they did really good.  They had their first elephant ear, which sounds awfully good right now! :)  We had another BBQ at my parents house and of course Spiderman cake and ice cream.
Russ used some vacation days, so on Monday we took the boys to their check-up, where they got a clean bill of health.  They are both in the 90th percentile for height and weight and Wyatt is 1/4 inch taller than Trevor.  As soon as Dr. Eki came in the room Wyatt looks at him and says "I'm not getting any shots."  He was so serious and we all started cracking up.  He also took the belt for his gown and stretched it behind his head and told the Doctor that he was doing his exercises. :)  We had one meltdown over sitting on the table, but other then that they did great.  They ended up with one shot and no tears! They were too concerned about what band-aid they were going to get.  From the doctor's office we headed to Cascade Station at the airport.  That is where they had their first trip to Ikea.  We knew what we wanted, so we didn't bother with a cart, but we still had to walk about a million miles just to get to the check stand.  We took a break and that is where Trevor got to go in the girls bathroom for the first time! :)  They had a little kiddy sink that he loved to wash his hands in.  After we made it out of the maze that is Ikea we headed to Red Robin.  Where they boys had their first Red Robin kids meal.  They colored on the menu and sat and behaved so well.  They started getting a little restless at the end, so of course we bribed them with a trip to Target to pick out toys.  That made them behave!  So after we left Red Robin we went to the Super Target to pick out a toy.  Surprisingly they picked out their toys and we didn't have any tears!  Wyatt picked out at Thomas toy and Trevor went for Spiderman.
I was very impressed with them.  They listened to us, didn't do much whining, and had a blast.  I will admit that I was a little scared that we were going to have a major meltdown at some point, but they did AWESOME!  I was one proud Mommy that day.
We are in the midst of potty training right now.  I took the no diapers during the day path.  One day they woke up and I was changing their diapers and I just said, NO!  So I brought out the potty and made them sit on it every half-hour.  Shockingly they both did extremely well and even did #2.  I knew it couldn't be that easy and it hasn't been.  We have had some accidents and have had to throw away some underwear, if you know what I mean.  We have been at it for a week and 1/2 and I am impressed with them.  We had 2 accidents yesterday and I am hoping for an accident free today.  Wyatt even kept a dry diaper overnight.  They also call me into their room before they go to bed if they need to go.  So I see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Though I know that we will still have to buy diapers for Mr. Landon for another year and night time diapers for the other 3, it just feels good getting rid of the majority of the diapers.
I can't believe that my little boys are 3.  It feels like yesterday when the doctor told us we were having twins and then I went out to the car and I cried and the only thought I had at the time was, "we are going to have to sell our Subaru and get a stupid minivan." :)  Is it bad that I am so happy that we still have our Subaru even though our family can't fit in to it? :)  We have officially survived the first 3 years of twins!  Some days I am not exactly sure how we survived, but we did.  It has been fun, exciting, stressful, overwhelming and scary at times.  The boys are happy and healthy and I couldn't ask for anything more!

No comments:

Post a Comment