for some kind of direction for Aurora's schooling. We have decided not to red-shirt her since she is more than ready for Kindergarten. But we are still throwing around Margaret Scott, Phonics Phactory, and 1 more year of homeschool. I have come to the conclusion that Aurora would thrive in a school setting. She is outgoing and loves to socialize, so I decided not to pursue homeschooling as a permanent option. We may do 1 more year and we may re-visit it sometime down the road. I am trying to take 1 day at a time and not worry about the decision too much. There are pros and cons to each decision and I want to make the best one for her.
Margaret Scott is right up the street, it is free and she can make friends in her neighborhood. My sister has a memorial covered play area and my cousin Natalie has a memorial playground for handicapped kids there. I have nothing but fond memories of Margaret Scott. But it is a public school and she will just become another student. She won't receive any individualized learning and she will have to go at the pace of the class. It is not the same Margaret Scott that I went to.
The Phonics Phactory is a Christian private school in Gresham. They offer 3 day a week schedules where they believe that as the parent you are the main educator. When they get to higher grades you homeschool or have projects on Thursday's and Friday's to accomplish. I love the philosophy and it looks like a great school, but it costs money. It is about $2,200 for a year of Kindergarten. Even if I overlooked spending the money, it is quite a drive. The Kindergarten class meets from 11am to 1:20PM, which would mean that as soon as I got home I would have to get right back in the car and go get her. If Aurora was an only child then I would happily fork over the money, but I want to make sure all my kids have the same opportunity.
I will continue to pray and see if I am lead to either of these places, this year. I think I may be making this harder on myself than I should.
No comments:
Post a Comment