Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Too Hot To Stop It

The Blazers play in Game 5 of the first round of the playoffs tonight and every time they make it into the playoffs I am reminded of this awesome song:




Thank goodness for youtube!  I would play this song and then flip it over and play side B and then flip it over and play the song again, or just wait while it reminded.  I can still hear the rewind sound in my head. I really loved my childhood. :) This song always floods me with memories of the 90's.  The Blazers were good, but not good enough for a championship.  The players on our team were stand up family guys.
My Grandpa worked at the Memorial Coliseum ad eventually the Rose Garden after he retired from the police department.  He was the head maintenance guy that was responsible for putting the basketball floor in and setting up events and concerts.  I remember my first time at Disney on Ice I was so amazed that my Grandpa helped put it in and for the longest time I thought that the ice was always under the basketball court. :)
My parents actually went to a Blazer game on one of their first dates.  And I have heard numerous stories of the 77' blazer championship. I am not sure for how long but for a time, most games were on a pay subscription called Blazer Cable, my Grandpa got it for free, so we would always be over here, staying up late on school nights, listening to our parents and grandparents scream at the TV.  Russ and I have carried on the tradition.  I remember when I was little, I vowed I would never scream at sports games, yeah, I totally broke that.
One of my fondest memories, which has gotten fuzzy over the years, is going to an event at the Rose Garden.  I don't remember the actual event, but I remember sitting in our seats, we were always early, and all of a sudden Jerome Kersey showed up with his family and sat in front of us.  Then I see him waving at someone, Clyde and his family showed up, and then boom, Terry Porter and his family are 2 rows back.  I was sitting on the aisle and Clyde Drexler actually brushed up against me when he was going back to his seat.  That pretty much has made my entire life.  Its my claim to fame.  We were so cool that we had better seats than the players and we were privileged enough to sit with them. I thought my Grandpa was pretty cool at that point.  My Grandpa was also famous for a bit, they featured the Rose Garden crew on the news one year, showing everyone who was responsible for the court being put in, and of course they film it right when he was bending over and his crack was showing! But as his grand-kids, we were totally used to it. I don't think I have a memory of my Grandpa working that doesn't involve a nice plumber's crack. :)  If it would have aired now, it would probably have been a viral video.  It always makes me chuckle when I think about it.
Another awesome perk from having my Grandpa work at the Rose Garden was him being able to bring home the things they handed out to people at games.  Noise makers, posters, shirts.  We thought we were pretty special.

It is amazing how one song can bring back soooo many memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment