February 29th happens once every four years. And apparently is a great day for medical emergencies. The day started out normal. I woke up, checked my email, found out I was selected for a Wheel Of Fortune audition the following day. So I made a few phone calls to see how I could make it happen. I made myself a carrot, apple, parsley juice and pretty much enjoyed life. I got in to the shower around 11AM and the water hitting my left hand felt funny and it got all tingly. I get out of the shower and dress. Now the feeling is creeping up my arm. Now I am not really concerned except for the fact that they always tell you left side means heart attack. So I go about my business, pretty quickly the numb, tingling feeling moves to the side of my face. I call my Dad to come watch the kids and as soon as the feeling took over my left leg, I called Russ to come home from work. As soon as he got here, we went to Urgent Care. It was a 2 hour wait, but as soon as I gave my symptoms they rushed me back to a room. They took my blood pressure and pretty much told me they recommend an ambulance to the hospital, just in case. They said I had my age going for me and it was probably nothing serious. Of course that freaks me out. I have never in my almost 30 years of life needed an ambulance or had a family member that needed an ambulance. I agreed, hoping I would be seen right away. Being taken out on a stretcher was not the highlight of my life.
We arrive at the hospital only to be put in the waiting room, because they were unusually busy and had no beds. I absolutely hate the Providence ER. My sister pretty much died waiting in that same ER. It was unusually busy and even the paramedics said it had been a pretty busy day for them already. I was a little pissed because I agreed to the ambulance ride, under the impression that I would be seen faster. So to be dropped off in the waiting room was frustrating.
I finally got called to triage, where they took a EKG and a whole lot of blood. This is when the scariest thing I have seen in my life happened. The Nurse finished up taking my blood, put the tape in my arm and I look over at Russ. His eyes roll back, he falls into the wall, and starts to fall to the ground. Luckily the nurse and I were quick to our feet and were able to break his fall. He was out cold for 30 seconds. Everything happened so fast. Three nurses rushed to him and made sure he was OK. He finally comes to and they ask him if he knows here he is. Of course he wonders why he is lying on the floor. :) They sit him in the chair that I was just occupying and give him some time to collect himself. I absolutely never ever want to see something like that again. I'm so happy that we were able to catch him before he hit the floor, because that floor was hard as a rock and he went down hard. I guess I am lucky he never passed out during my deliveries!
So once Russ collects himself, we are sent out to wait for an empty bed. Finally we are called back, but only to wait another hour, just to see the doctor. I am hoping for some answers, but all I get is the usual, "your blood work looks great, nothing out of the ordinary. Do you have any stress in your life?" My usual answer, "Well I have 4 kids, aged 5 and under." Then they always laugh and say something like "wow" or in this case the doctor said we needed awards and called us "angels." While I love a good compliment, it wasn't what I was looking for. To me stress is a diagnosis for when they don't find an obvious answer and really don't want to look anymore.
So I head to my primary care doctor on Tuesday and hope for some answers. While I would love for this to be caused by stress, I want to cover all my bases. It's not that I want some horrible disease, I just don't want to be prescribed some sort of drug and hurried on my way. The numbness is gone, but I still get a "pins and needles" feeling in my arm and leg. I have also been having a rough couple of weeks, enough to send my to my doctor a couple weeks ago. No answers at that trip, either. So I am either a nut job or there is something going on that they haven't done the correct test for.
I also worry about something in the house causing this. Back in the 90's my grandparents remodeled the house and my Grandmas lost all feeling in her legs and couldn't walk. She was in the hospital for a week and they never gave her a proper diagnosis. They called it "auto-immune" and she eventually got better and never had anymore "episodes." She also died of lung cancer and was not a smoker. So that stuff scares me. I'm not sure what it could be. I suppose there could be some black mold hiding somewhere, or the carpet could be giving off fumes. Who knows?? All I know is that I never want to ride in an ambulance again, or see my husband, or anyone for that matter, pass out.
I am trying to reduce stress, but that would mean giving away my children. Anyone want them? :)
No comments:
Post a Comment