Today Russ will head down to the Union Hall and cast a very important vote. A yes vote means they have a contract for another year and a no vote will mean STRIKE! This is the first time in the 7 years and 3 contracts that it has ever gotten this far. It really is a toss up at this point what the outcome will be. I'm not sure that there is anything in the contract to strike about, but the older, more seniority guys are not pleased with it. The contract is only for a year, so I figure they could hash out those details next year. But what do I know? I am not pro union, but I am definitely not anti-union. The Teamsters have pretty much fed, clothed and sheltered me my entire life, so I can't complain. My dad went on strike when I was younger. All I remember is watching the news stories. In my mind it seemed like it went on for quite awhile, but it probably wasn't that long.
Whatever the outcome of today's vote, I will support it. Of course I would prefer not to have my husband standing out in freezing cold temperatures, holding a sign. But there isn't much I can do about it, so we are just going to go with the flow and hope for the best.
No comments:
Post a Comment