Wednesday, July 3, 2013

A Christmas Letter In July!

I can't believe that it is already July! We started our summer off with our first Smith/Jones camping trip!  I was a little anxiety ridden to embark on this adventure, but all in all the kids did great!  Plus they had a blast hanging out with Uncie and Aunt Becky and their cousins Tucker and Bailey.  We went to Ft. Stevens, up by Astoria.  It is one of the biggest national campgrounds.  There were tons of historic sites, including everyone's favorite Battery Russell.  It had that old, creepy , haunted feel to it, but the kids had a blast exploring it.  It is an anxiety ridden Mother's worst nightmare though.  Big holes, dropoffs and stairs with no railings.  I survived. Barely.  I realize that these kids will probably give me a million heart attacks over the next 20 years, and even after that.  I have no pictures of this adventure, because I forgot my camera. :(  Trust me, this trip did in fact happen and we all had a blast! We discovered, or at least confirmed that Landon is in fact a bully.  He was calling kids about 10 or so "fat boy" and this kid was not fat.  He was practically getting in his face.  You would never know, since he freezes up around adults.  Last year he yelled at a group of boys that were playing ball on the beach "you play ball like a girl."  So we have to watch this guy.  Hopefully his brothers are willing to step in and either contain him or protect him. :)  It's always the small, quiet ones that like to get in trouble. 
Wyatt and Trevor turned 5 a couple of weeks ago.  I really don't know how that happened.  It seems like yesterday I was waddling around Costco waiting for them to make an appearance.  I remember when we brought them home from the hospital and Aurora loved them for a few days, then she muttered the famous line "Wyatt Trevor put back."  Fortunately the boys couldn't talk when Landon came along, but I have a feeling they would have had the same sentiment. We threw the boys a pool party, since 5 is a milestone.  They chose a shark themed party.  A good time was had by all and we avoided any major meltdowns.  We had one in the parking lot on our way out.  Landon, who had been handling the attention the boys were getting like a champion got a little upset when I told him he couldn't hold one of they boy's toys.  So he screamed "It's my birthday too."  But he quickly recovered.  Speaking of that.  Our little baby does have a birthday coming up!  He will be 4 this time around.  FOUR!  Geesh. Here's hoping that we are leaving the terrible three's behind us, forever.
We have been having a heatwave around here, so of course the pool, the sprinkler and the water guns have come out.  It is hard work being an adult in the summer.  Blowing up pools, filling squirt guns, paying the water bill.  I want to be young again, but I don't want to go to school. :) 
Trevor has taken up drawing and now we have stacks and stacks of his artwork laying around.  He like to draw Robin and his girlfriend, Poison Ivy and he really has a talent for it.  He fills in the little details like her mask and the R on Robins costume.  I have no talent what-so-ever, so it has been nice to see one of our kids with some natural talent. 
Aurora has lost some more baby teeth this summer and at her last dentist appointment they mentioned the "o" word.  Of course the only orthodontist I trust moved to happy valley, so I may just have to take the longer drive.  We do not have ortho coverage and I shudder to think what it will cost, but they claim that if we are proactive now, she might not need braces.  So I guess we will see.  All of the kids have perfect straight baby teeth, so why in the world can't their adult teeth do the same? Luckily none of the kids are thumbsuckers, so we may (fingers crossed) get off easy.  Or we may send Dr. Brown into early retirement! :)
With the weather being nice, we decided it was time to pull out the picnic table.  Well Russ, tried to do it by himself and dropped the thing on his foot.  He comes inside with a huge goose-egg on the top of his foot. He spent the rest of the day laid up with copious amounts of arnica and ice.  Luckily he was able to go to work this week and it seems to not be broken.  Needless to say, we have not eaten on the picnic table this week.  Go figure! :)
Russ and I got a little taste of some baseball by going to a Hillsboro Hops game.  They kind of suck and they are on a nice losing streak, but I love being around baseball.  It was 90 degrees and we were in the sun for quite a bit, but I loved every minute of it.  I loved the crowd booing the umps when they got a call wrong, watching people dancing on the fan cam and the crazy in between inning games.  We are throwing around the idea of taking the kids next time. 
I am still shampoo free, except for when I got my haircut at the salon.  Don't really miss shampoo and my hair seems to be thicker.  After a few road bumps (birthday cake) I am back on track with my new lifestyle and have dropped 6lbs.  Size 0, here I come!  You all know I am just kidding.  I am aiming for a negative 0. :)
The summer has just began, we have more birthdays to celebrate and more fun to be had.  We hope you are all enjoying your summer!
Love,
The Jones 

No comments:

Post a Comment