Monday, July 1, 2013

You Don't Have A Microwave!?

Nope.  We haven't had one for probably a year or more now.  I remember the first microwave my family had, it was huge and had turn knobs, like an old TV.  I would sit in front of it and watch the food "cook."  Pretty much everything hot that I ate growing up came out of a microwave.  I grew up in the microwave generation.  I don't think we ever used the oven.  I think in the early 90's they started talking about radiation danger, so I would get yelled at for standing in front of it.  When my little cousin was diagnosed with brain cancer, I remember the grownups talking about microwaves and hot dogs.  So all this info has been floating around for years and years.  Our microwave broke and we never bothered replacing it.  We don't do too many packaged foods and therefore it was just taking up space.  There has only been 2 occasions where I wish we had one.  Anything you can cook in the microwave can be cooked in the oven or on the stove top.  It takes longer, but knowing that I didn't nuke my food of all nutrients is worth it.  I personally don't have anything against microwaves.  I will use them while on vacation, or while I am at someone elses house. I think a properly sealed microwave is safe, but won't sacrifice nutrition for time. Everything in life is a choice and we chose not to use a microwave at our house.  And we are slowly going through our friends list and stopping all communication with those who would chose to use one.  Just kidding! 

No comments:

Post a Comment