Friday, December 16, 2011

Charity

If you have food in your refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof over your head and a place to sleep, you are richer than 75 percent of the world.

I'm not certain if the above statement is true, but it seems to be used a lot.  As I was awakened this morning by a crying kid and had to climb out of my warm cozy bed I realized how darn lucky I am to be able to climb back in to my warm cozy bed.  A lot of people aren't so lucky.  Our directions from Jesus are quite clear.  He talks about taking care of the poor numerous times.  We are to give to the poor and show them God's love.  As I was nice and warm in my bed, I thought about how Christians have totally fallen short of this.  Think of those mega churches.  If Joel Osteen would take a pay decrease and live a modest lifestyle, their church would be able to house the homeless and start an outreach, maybe even buy enough food to fill a local food bank? Instead this guy lives in a mansion on a hill and he isn't ashamed of this fact.  He brags about it in one of his books and tells me I can too have the dream house I want, if I just practice some positive thinking.  He is nothing more than a glorified motivational speaker.  But that is a topic for another day. :)  Back to charity.  Our job as Christians is to provide for the poor.  We were blessed with abundance so we could show our faith through giving.   

James 2:5. Did not God choose the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him? 

 Luke 6:20-21. Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God. Blessed are you who hunger now, for you shall be satisfied. Blessed are you who weep now, for you shall laugh.

God will provide you with all you need, what you do with the excess is up to you.  Just remember when you leave this earth you can't take it with you.  And when you stand before God, he won't be looking at your financial portfolio, or how big your house is or how many cool gadgets you own.  In God's eyes we are all equal and status, wealth and beauty mean nothing.  You can't buy your way in to Heaven. God gave us the greatest gift of all, Jesus.  And now it our turn to repay the favor by taking care of the heirs of the kingdom (the poor) while they are still here on earth.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment