Thursday, March 18, 2010

Homeschooling?

Russ and I have been going back and forth with the decision to home-school Aurora. Well with a lot of prayer and discussion we are going forward with homeschooling. I will start this September with preschool and feel it out. I don't really have a problem with public school (except for middle school). I know she would get a perfectly good education in the Reynolds school district. I did. But I feel I have been lead to home-school, even before I was married or had kids. I can't really explain it, but it feels right and we are going to roll with it for now. Of course this would naturally mean that the boys will be home-schooled as well. That brings a little anxiety to me. All four of our children are different and learn in different ways. It will be a challenge but it is a challenge I am willing to take on.
Who knows maybe after a year of preschool I will change my mind and send her off to Margaret Scott. I am just going to continue to pray and let the Lord lead me.

OK now we made the decision, so why don't I tell people when they ask about Aurora going to school? Why does homeschooling feel like a 4 letter word. You should see the looks on some people's faces when I mention that word. They are lead to believe that I am going to raise a bunch of social misfits that can't function in society. I went to a high school with over 2000 kids and I will say that public school does not automatically make you a social genius. Like everything in life it depends on the kid. Some kids thrive in public schools, others don't. Some people would love to go back to high school and do it all again and some people (me) would rather just leave those years behind.

So with all that said we are giving homeschooling a spin. Prayers would be appreciated. :)

2 comments:

  1. You go girl! I am your biggest fan! :) I totally back up any person that feels like they are being led to homeschool. You will do a great job. I can't wait for my kids to be old enough so we can do it! I've seen too much of what goes on in public schools to let my kids go. I love teaching and I don't mind teaching public or private school - but my kids are a different story. I think you are doing the right thing. Don't worry about people treating it like it is a 4-letter word. Think of it as a 4-letter word that you can finally use, be okay for saying it, and still get a great reaction! LOL :D
    I'll pray for you! Go, Autumn! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was struggling to figure out how to handle all the kids in school at the same time (or even one and keeping the others occupied), a friend recommended "The Well Trained Mind" my Susan Wise Bauer. Systematic approach with out being overly suffocating curriculum. I think one of my biggest struggles (and one common to most homeschoolers) the the fear of what others think, and going along with that, comparison. I've realized recently that the 10th commandment - do not covet - includes do not compare. God will be your ultimate source to know what is right for your children - and he trusted you to be their parents - keep your eyes on the Lord and you can not fail! Way to go taking the plunge.

    ReplyDelete